Old Ruymian Club

Blog for ex pupils of Chatham House Grammar School, Ramsgate, Kent. Join the Old Ruymians Facebook page; this will become the official Old Ruymian website

Friday, November 06, 2009

Old Ruymians in Civil Contract with Internet

Who would imagine that the Old Ruymians and the Internet would make a happy marriage? I can't say that I am too sure myself. It has to be said that the Old Ruymians are all that modern isn't. Old "Boys", well there are girls now, but we're not gonna call them Old Persons, Old Children, or Old Young People are we? So that's our first problem. Secondly, as well as being Old Boys, we are Old Boys of a Grammar School. Now the Grammar School is a dying breed whether you like it or not, if the concept ever returns, and I am sure given the likely readership I would be controversial in suggesting that perhaps it should not, it would surely be called by another name, but would it smell as sweet. So why get involved as the Secretary of such an anachronistic organisation? I'm still not sure, but I think that underlying it all is the view that other young people should have the opportunities that I enjoyed, and which allowed me many privileged choices in the years to come. I would love the Club to become more successful, today its membership is paltry in my opinion. I would also like any money raised to be spent more democratically and not in a manner chosen by a few; I also hope that such monies would be directed towards encouraging a broader education for those who are less able to afford it. For the time being the URL www.oldruymians.co.uk points to this blog, in the coming weeks I will redirect it to its new facebook home subject to the approval of my fellow OR Committee members. It will be interesting to see whether my blog continues to take pride of place at the top of the Google listing!

1 Comments:

At 1:19 pm, Blogger Hibernogirl said...

My father was 'old boy' and died recently. Is there an appropriate place to post details?

Anne

 

Post a Comment

<< Home